Monday, January 6, 2014

What a Ride!

If you asked me 5 years ago I would have said that soccer is my life and I imagine my college life being centered around soccer. At the time I was recruited to play soccer for Towson University, I was SO pumped and I thought everything was lined up perfectly. The day before signing day I was told I could not play soccer again due to my seizures. At this point in time I was devastated. I thought there was nothing worse in the world then to take soccer away from my life. Now, a semester away from graduating, I can say that I was crazy. Yeah, of course it would have be awesome to see what my soccer college life would have held for me, but I believe everything happens for a reason, and I definitely would not have been in my special education program at Arcadia University, if it weren't for my Epilepsy. Throughout this ride I learned that above all else, special education and working with children with disabilities is my dire love and passion in my life.

As I approach the ending, as well as the beginning, of a new chapter in my life I feel as though I can finally look back at my Epilepsy and really capture it and call it my own. After all it is my story. It's very much a part of me. The relationships I have made and deepened, the passions I have found, the experiences and journeys that I endured, all stemmed from my own path, a path that was unwillingly changed, I don't want to say for the better, but certainly for a thrilling ride that I love to call my own ride. I am now graduating with a duel certification in Early Childhood Elementary Education and Special Education, both of which allow me to go after my deep passion of working with children with disabilities and that I would not change for the world.

Last night I was reading a book called The Spark by Kristine Barnett. It is a true story about a woman who explains her sons story through her eyes. Her son has Autism and the story is absolutely beautiful. Reading last night motivated me to write about my story. After all every one has a story and everyone enjoys and lives through their own beautiful, sometimes crazy and unexpected, but nonetheless beautiful ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment